Friday, December 04, 2009

1911 Irish census: Spelling variations

Cullen is much more common than any of its variant spellings or similar surnames (except for Collins of course). Here are some of the different names/spellings found in the 1911 census of Ireland.

What is interesting about this? Some of the names that appear somewhat common in the U.S are rare or absent (Cullens and Cullins for example, also Cullum/Cullom is rare--maybe it's more of an English name?) Also names mentioned in the surname histories as being variants of Cullen are absent (Culloon, Culhoon).
-------------------------------
If a number is not given, there were less than 10 people with that name in the census, usually only 1 or 2.

CULLEN-7181 names

variant spellings and very rare surnames:
CULAN, CULLAN (66), CULLEEN, CULLEM, CULLENN, CULLAN, CULLENS (8 only), CULLEON, CULLION (96, mostly Donegal, some Tyrone), CULLLEN, CULLIM, CULLIN (82), CULLINS (10 only), CULLOM, CULLUM (15), CULLUMM, CULLON, CULHAM, CULHAN, CULLA (10), CULLAM, CULLANE (15), CULLANNE, CULLE, CULLEA, CULLEAN (10), CULLEANE, CULLEENY, CULLEHY, CULENEY, CULLER, CULLERY (10), CULLEW, CULLING, CULLINY, CULLIS, CULLNEY, CULLOHY, CULLOLY, CULLOO (17), CULLUANE, CULM, CULMEA, CULLINGNE, CULLMAN, CULLNEY, CULLOM, CULLON, CULLUM,

Then there are some names that are clearly different families, not just spelling variations:
CULHANE (611, mostly Limerick)
CULL (232, Down, Leitrim, Antrim and a few other counties)
CULLINEY (44, Mayo and Clare)
CULLINAN (863, Waterford to Roscommon)
CULLINANE (1240,Waterford to Roscommon)

Then there are the variant of McCullen:
McCULLEN (91), MacCULLEN (1), McCULL (17), McCULLION (12), McCULLAN (12), McCULLINS (11), McCULLIAN, McCULLIN, McCULLON, McCULLUM, McCULLAND, McCULLEM, MCULLIN

This list is only for names containing CUL, so names like COLLEN, COLLINS, KILLEN, QUILLEN, and McQUILLAN are not listed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Daniel T McCullen.

Maculan said...

Hi
I am italian and I'm looking for my origins. Maybe what I'm going to say have no sense for you, but I hope to find out something about my strange story.

My grandfather's surname is Maculan and there are a few of us living in Veneto, Italy.
I started to doubt about my origins growing up, because my grandfather used to told us stories (or legend) about fairy creatures or great adventure that my great-grandfather had with a giant. Here where I live there are popular stories, but no one of them was like my grandfather's.
When I was little I enjoied them, but growing up I asked myself if these kind of stories had non-italian origins.
The only thing I turn out is that "Maculan" surname is present in this territory since late XVIII century, but before that we have no information.

So I started to search some similar Irish or Scottish surnames that sound like Maculan and, after years and years of researches, I found out this blog.

I don't want to bother you, but I really want to find out more about this and maybe somebody can tell me if my idea is impossible or if there's a little possibility that I have some celtic origins.

I thank anybody who can tell me something about this strange story.
I also want to apologize for all my grammatical mistakes.

Thank you

Gaspar said...

Hi

Do you know where in Veneto italy.....there are 7 provinces under Veneto.

One of my relative is a Giulianna Collen 1826 ? -1900 Morgano Veneto, I do not know who her ancestors are as Collen in not a name in Italy


regards
victor

Maculan said...

Hi Victor,
I am from vicenza province, while I suppose your relative were from Mogliano Veneto wich is in Treviso province.
Do you know anything more about your relatives?maybe since when they established in italy?
And do you know if in your country there are some "Maculan" or have you ever heard about it?

If you need any other information just let me know.

Regards,

Rossella