Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cullens in clogher history: Cullen's Point, Cormore

Clogher is a very small town in county tyrone which I visited in 1989. I also visited my Heagney relatives in Tullycorker, which is a townland (like a rural crossroads) just a couple miles to the north of Clogher. My Cullen ancestors are from Tullycorker, and there were Cullens living there in 1989, but we didn't know how our families were connected. I know they're not (male line) descendants of my ancestor Thomas Cullen who lived cir 1835-1900, but some could possibly be descendants of a brother of his, which would make them fourth cousins.

My major genealogy interest right now is sorting out all the Cullens in Clogher parish through microfilmed records. Most of the Cullens were in Tullycorker, but some lived in adjacent Cormore townland, and others in Eskernabrogue and Tycanny. Hopefully DNA testing (I need volunteers from Northern Ireland!!) will be able to determine whether these Cullens are all related, and whether they are related to any of the Cullinans who also lived in the area.

Thomas Cullen's wife was Mary McCann from adjacent Eskragh or Eskra townland. I did a google search for Clogher and Cullen and I found a wikipedia entry for Eskra. How does such a small place get mentioned on wikipedia?

wikipedia on Eskra

the main author of this aricle, who I believe goes by Ardfern, writes:

Many sites of penal day massrocks are still remembered by the local people. One such hallowed spot is 'The Altar Field' near Cullen's Point in the townland of Cormore. Another is in the hallow at the rear of the new church in Lisnarable. The old St. Patrick's Church - sometimes referred to as the 'Lower Mountain Church' was really a barn bought from a local farmer named Traynor and upgraded to serve as a church in the first quarter of the 19th century

Cullen's Point! I wonder if my father knows about it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bernie,

My name is Pearse Cullen, iam originally from Cormore, Eskra and i have just started my family tree research. I have come across your blog and i will try and help you with whatever information i have so that between us we might be able to establish a link. My relatives are also Heagneys from Tullycorker. If you are still interested in finding out more please e-mail me to pearsecullen@hotmail.com.

Regards Pearse

Fern said...

Hello Bernie - What a surprise to finally find some Cullen info. I just came from reading about Cullen Point, and found my way onto your blog. My Great great grandfather was Hugh Cullen, born in Eskragh, County Tyrone. He married Esther carbery in 1822 and I believe they moved to Belfast. They had nine children. among them as Matthew, who was my Great Grandfather, a glasscutter. He and his wife, Mary Jane Cullen, moved to the US - New York around 1864. Do you see any connections to whom you are looking for? I would love to find more info on them, as to the parish they were married, etc.
Good Luck with your search!
Kathleen Hayes

Bernie Cullen said...

Great to hear from you! Could you email me direct at berniecullen at gmail.com because I can't see your email address?
I've done a little investigating Kathleen, and it looks like your family is from another Eskragh which is closer to Dungannon. Your family seems to be mentioned in O'Hart's Irish Pedigrees-how lucky!
http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/OCullenHeber.php